A wonderful article was published last week in the Journal of Women’s Health, relating the most obvious, yet not recognized fact – breastfeeding is really good for the woman doing the nursing.
This particular article states that women who breastfeed for at least a year, significantly lower their risk for cardiometabolic diseases. Considering that February is Heart Awareness month, that’s especially welcome news. As you may know, heart attacks and strokes are the leading killers of women, by far, and at aged we really don’t wish to contemplate. Women so often think they are “bullet proof” for cardiovascular problems, and that is so far from the truth.
So … why do you think that doing a lot of breast feeding would lower your chance of having a stroke or heart attack anyway?
I guess that the answer may not strike you as obvious. Well … the article doesn’t touch on the subject, so here are my thoughts. I’ll number them!
- Women who breastfeed have lower stress hormones
- Women who breast feed tend to lose the weight gained during pregnancy better
- The hormones of breastfeeding, prolactin and oxytocin do wonderful things for your heart, your immune system, and your mood
- Women who breastfeed have less overall inflammation
- Women who breast feed tend to eat a healthier diet, as they are eating for the baby as well
- Genes are turned on and off by breast feeding in such a way to give the woman a better overall health status
Well… Let me know what you think are the reasons that breastfeeding lowers cardiovascular risk!
The one thing I do know for absolute sure is that we are destined to be healthier when we live in accordance with nature’s laws for us. If we live in tune with our female rhythms, we will live better lives … healthier, happier, and likely longer! We are what we are … we are designed and programmed to make babies and breastfeed.
You don’t have to do that, but be aware that your female body was designed for that!
Just recognize that we are genetically programmed to be reproductive females … like it or not … at least know inside that is nature’s plan! And at the very least … chose food from nature to eat!! Enjoy!!